Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Knock your breath out cold



Only a couple nights of Spotted Owl surveying left for us.  Sadly, we will soon be leaving the great coast of Oregon and saying so-long to its....well....umm.....hmm....indescribable beauty.
BUT...not quite yet....
We're sticking around to gaze at a few last sights and try and soak up as much of the rain forest and salty coast smell into our pores and clothing as possible.
Where are we off to next? 
What critters will we work with in the near future?
Well, those are good questions.
We're not sure yet, a few things are in the mix, but don't worry- 
you'll be the first, or maybe third or fourth to know...



 Adult Barred Owl vs. juvenile fledgling complete with fluff on top of head.  Juvenile chicks often outweigh their parents during this period of life, but are quick to lose the excess weight after learning to hunt for themselves.



Northwestern Garter Snake - 
Notice the musk dripping down the finger...Not to worry,  
enjoying the little guy's company outweighs a few hours of stink any day.



Young's River Falls south of Astoria 
Coldest pool of water EVER.... knock your breath out cold.
(Judging by your expressions, you'd like to know just how cold,
after all - how cold is cold?) 
We would say it rivals the Pacific Ocean's temps right now ~ 58 °F.  
Colder than last summer's river crossing Teton Wilderness escapades.
Basking rocks for afterward, however, were conveniently scattered about.



The sun was ridiculously bright this evening- even for a sunset.  Luckily, we happened to drive by an overlook that provided us with the opportunity to see above the cloud line as well as to the ocean below.  Almost like something you'd see out of an airplane window.





26 comments:

Traci66 said...

Thanks for following me. I am a follower of yours. The snake ick. I am terrified of them.

houndstooth said...

I believe you on the cold water. We were out hiking in Wisconsin a few weeks ago, and while it was an unbearable sauna here in Illinois, when Bunny and I dipped our feet in that waterfall creek up there, I thought I'd discovered absolute zero! Holy crow can that water be cold!

I'm passing on the snake adventures, though! lol

Keli said...

Absolutely beautiful. Everything excpet the snake. ;) my sons would love it though!

Backcountry Brodie said...

So glad you found my blog so I could find yours to follow! Awesome pictures and such exciting things you get to do! I think your owl shots would be perfect for the "You Lookin' At Me?" photo hunt! (PS - Although I ignore them, my mom thinks snakes are pretty cool!)

Marissa said...

I'd like some of those photos in a frame on my walls! BEAUTIFUL PHOTOS :) Found you through welcome wednesday! Great adventures you guys have!! WOW!

D.K. Wall said...

Thanks for stopping by our blog - and so glad we discovered yours. Looking forward to your adventures.

Life With Dogs said...

We'll see those temps here tonight and I'm psyched - I must be a glutton for punishment! :)

Ms. Bake-it said...

Fabulous photos! Love the owl and snake shots.

~ Tracy

The KGs said...

What a lovely place - I travelled around Oregon and Washington state in the early 90s and you've just reminded me why I'd love to come back. (Dylan disagrees..he won't be left out!)
Thanks for visiting Dylan's blog.Fellow animal lovers are always welcome. Good luck with your next adventure. Susan & Dylan the Dog

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful shots, love the owls. Nice blog, I came across it on Susan's Outdoor Wednesday.

George The Lad said...

Looking forward to see where you go next, that photo of the sun wow love it.
See Yea George and Jan xxx

sheila said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is the first time I've ever seen your blog, I think I'll hang out here for awhile. Your life sounds so adventurous and fun! Beautiful shots, especially the owl shot. SO tough to get!

Anniespickns said...

Beautiful. I await your next adventures.

Doll Clothes Gal Pal said...

Good thing that snake is not poisonous. ;) Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

These are amazing. The owl's eyes are a little scary.

Brenda said...

Thats an amazing picture of that owl, but its all wonderful!

Linda said...

Amazing photos...we have a great horned owls nest in a tree next door. They are incredible birds! It looks like you had a wonderful time!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing job you have! There is a raptor rescue and rehabilitation center a half an hour from me so I have actually seen a barred owl and a barn owl up close. They are just as beautiful as your photos.
I didn't realize snakes had a musk gland; things you learn on the internet.

Nico and The Bandit said...

Thanks for stopping by our blog! We like your blog too; you're so lucky you get to visit so many beautiful places. Can't wait to see where you're going next!

Unknown said...

You have just about the best jobs in the world! Great photos & info! I'm so glad I found you at Talkative Thursday Blog Hop. I'd love to talk to you more about wildlife sometime for possible article information or a Guest takeaway at www.magicalmouseschoolhouse.com, where Disney IS school.

BigD said...

Terrific sunset!
Wish I was there!

Sew Hungryhippie said...

WOW you live such an interesting life! I have to keep up with you on your journeys, this is so awsome...happy to follow you too :o)
Keep up the amazing work. These pics are great-I LOVE owls, always have. Well, I love all animals & critters except roaches! hahahaha
peace out
natalie

EG CameraGirl said...

Wonderful photos of the owls! I dream of capturing them myself. The sky photos are incredibly colourful!

Janneke said...

Wonderful photographs ;o)

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

Wonderful photos. Love the owls. You can keep the snake.

Nancy E said...

Gorgeous colors! And truly love the owl photos too.... very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Linkwithin

 
Free Website templatesfreethemes4all.comFree Blog TemplatesLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesFree Soccer VideosFree Wordpress ThemesFree Web Templates